Food Allergen Short Course
Allergen Control Programs are a foundational prerequisite program for any HACCP and Food Safety Plans in most food and beverage manufacturing plant. It’s a mandatory part of:
- Governmental Compliance (USDA and FDA)
- Third-party Food Safety Audits
- Included in Most Customer Quality Expectations
The cases of adults and children that are seriously allergic to certain foods is on the rise around the world. Mislabeling and mismanagement of allergen programs is the leading cause of recalls in the United States. A comprehensive Food Allergen Program is required for almost every food and beverage manufacturing plant. It’s a mandatory part of governmental compliance, third-party food safety audits, and included in most customer expectations.
This course will review the allergen control and labeling requirements for both USDA and FDA and how to develop a robust Allergen Management Program. Participants will learn the monitoring activities, validation, and verification applications to ensure the program is adequate to protect consumers from accidental allergen cross-contact. The course will also take a deep-dive into mitigation strategies and offer best practices to correct any issues that might arise. Lastly, the class will discuss effective training to ensure employees are knowledgeable on these programs and understand facility requirements.
By the end of the training course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the requirements of regulatory food allergen requirements within the food and beverage industry.
- Learn current allergen labeling requirements for America, Canada, and Europe.
- Implement a Food Allergen Program through the organization including: establishing an allergen control program, monitoring activities, validation, and verification.
- Ensure the success of a Food Allergen program through effective employee training.
The course is designed for:
- Food and Beverage Manufacturing and Distribution Personnel
- Facility Managers and Front-Line Supervisors
- Quality Assurance and Sanitation Staff
- Operational and Maintenance Staff
- Anyone who may be inspected by a regulatory body (USDA or FDA) or third party auditors (GMP Audits, BRC, SQF, GFSI, etc.)
- Half-Day (5-hours) Live Webcast (on the Zoom platform)
- Date: December 18, 2020
- Time: 8 am – 1 pm EST
- Location: Online, Live Webcast
- Cost: $250 (Contract of Services will be sent to you for signature)
- Wendy White, Project Manager, Food Safety & Quality for GA Tech GaMEP, ude.hcetagnull@etihww
- Prerequisite: None
- A certificate of participation will be sent to those that successfully complete the entire training class.
Food Allergen Class Registration
The following is required to successfully complete the course and to obtain the Certification of participation:
- Internet and computer capabilities
- Actively attend and participate (including chatroom responses and oral responses through audio AND video during the instructor-led course (on ZOOM)
- Access to ZOOM and loaded before class begins: https://www.zoom.us/
- Camera must stay on during the whole course instruction period
Missing or delayed responses to questions, exercises, and activities is considered an absence and the class fees are forfeited with no certificate from the instructor.
- 8:00 – 10:30 am: Introduction to allergens, labeling requirements, Allergen Control Program development
- 10:30 – 10:45am: Break
- 10:45am – 1:00pm: Validation, Verification, Monitoring, Correction Actions, and Training
- 1:00pm: Adjourn
*If you are interested in also registering for the Good Manufacturing Practices Short Course on December 15th, the total cost for both classes (GMP and Food Allergen) will be $400. For more information and to register visit the webpage here.