5S / Layout
Do you and your team struggle to keep your workplace in order? Do you have trouble finding items necessary to do your job? Do you find there is too much clutter or that excess inventory is piling up?
5S (Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain) is a process designed to turn your work area into a clean, organized, and orderly space.
6S adds a sixth "S": Safety, helping you to integrate safety into your 5S efforts. For more information on how to implement 6S, contact Damon Nix, GaMEP Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgia Tech will make a site visit to understand your needs, review the area in need of improvement, and guide you on implementing a 5S system that will help you:
- Get rid of clutter by removing items not needed for day-to-day operations
- Organize the work area and make it easy to find what is needed
- Clean the work area and equipment
- Establish schedules and methods of performance
- Implement mechanisms to sustain the gains through involvement of people, integration into the performance measurement system, and discipline
In addition, you can enroll in our open-enrollment course, 5S Workplace Organization, or we can come to your site and train your team. Through instruction and simulated exercises, our team of experts will give you the tools necessary to evaluate your current situation and implement a successful 5S system in your workplace.
5S can be applied to any area of an organization or to any type of organization.
Based on your needs, upon implementing a 5S system, your plant will:
- Improve on-time delivery
- Improve quality
- Increase productivity
- Reduce waste in materials, space, and time
- Reduce inventory and storage costs
- Reduce changeover time and equipment downtime
- Improve safety
- Motivate employees to be self directed